Egg salad is a wonderful summer dish because it is so easy to pair with all of the fresh produce available. It is also very simple and versatile-if you start with eggs and mayonnaise, you can add a wide variety of other ingredients to make very different dishes quite easily. In this iteration, I've added some veggies, dill, and smoked salmon and it is deeelicious!
1 small red onion
3 stalks celery
1 tsp dill
1 dozen eggs
1 cup mayonnaise (do NOT use Kraft or Hellman's or Miracle Whip…get the good stuff or make your own mayo, for pete's sake)
4-5 oz smoked salmon
1. Put the eggs in a large pot and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
2. While the eggs are boiling, chop up your celery and onion and tear your salmon into bite sized pieces. Combine in a bowl with the dill.
3. Run the eggs under cold water til they are cool enough to handle comfortably. Crack the shells and chop them up and add to the bowl o' goodness. I like big chunks of egg in my egg salad, but you can chop as finely as you please.
4. Stir it all together, and add the mayo. Stir some more. You can adjust the mayo to taste-I know some people prefer more mayo than eggs in their egg salad, so if you are one of those freaks of nature, go right ahead and indulge.
Now take a step back and admire how pretty your egg salad is? It looks like an Easter egg salad, doesn't it? Pink and purple and green and yellow, oo la la!
5. I serve this in butter lettuce cups with a little chopped tomato on top, and a grape medley on the side. Doesn't it look like the perfect summer meal? Now grab the lettuce cup and take a bite. Delicious, no? No? Really, it doesn't taste good?
YOU USED KRAFT OR HELLMAN'S, DIDN'T YOU?
Told ya that stuff was disgusting.